Tuesday, December 4, 2012

To Dx or Not to Dx




I had the privilege of visiting with a very nice man last night.   We were serving as Greeters at church and we were assigned to the same door.  I had seen him around many times but we had never spoken.  In between opening the door and welcoming the churchgoers he told me a little about his life. 
His speech was halting and he had to search to find the words he wanted to use.   He wasn’t sure on his feet, and walked with a bit of limp.  He told me he was in his 60’s but spoke with the wide eyed excitement of a 10 year old. 
I’m sure, had he not been born in 1950, he would have had several diagnoses with enough letters to have himself a big bowl of alphabet soup.  And through the years, he may well have gathered some diagnoses.. but that’s not what we talked about.
He told me of how he went to Bible School.  He told me how he felt like he was called to work in ministry.  And he told me of how his mother told him he would never be able to do that.  He told me that his mother always told him that he would never amount to anything.    This is his childhood memory.  And it broke my heart.
To be fair, there wasn’t as much information available in the 1950’s.  Learning Disabilities didn’t become a popular term until the 60’s.  Before that every learning difference pretty much fell under the umbrella of “mental retardation” and the stigma that carried. 
Today we know more.  We know that there is an entire spectrum of Learning Disabilities, all spelled out in cryptic letters as if they are some secret code.  ADD, ADHD, ADS, SID, PDD-NOS… and these “disabilities” usually travel in groups, called comorbids.   And there are medications and therapies for them all.  And it seems that once we treat one, something else pops up, so we treat that only to find another comorbid which needs treating.  And suddenly we step back and realize that between pills and therapies and doctors visits, we have unwittingly sent the message that my church friend’s mother said to him all those years ago.  
“You will never amount to anything.  There is just too much wrong with you.” 
No, it’s not what we mean to send by any means.  We only want to help.  We want to fix the problems.   But I wonder, if by focusing so much attention on the “problems” that we are missing all the things that are so very right in these children. 
I wonder why it has taken so long to realize that when we focus on the positive, the negatives tend to fade and disappear.  And conversely, and all too heartbreaking,  when we focus on the negatives the positives tend to fade and disappear.
Does that mean we shouldn’t seek a diagnosis?  Not at all.  A diagnosis can be freeing.  A diagnosis can lead to therapies that can make life better.  A diagnosis can and should be a tool that helps you go farther, but it should never limit you.  And you don’t need a diagnosis for every little thing that makes you different.  You seek a diagnosis when something hurts, or when you are troubled.  You go the doctor because you have an earache, not because you have differently shaped ears. 
I have a friend who suffers from OCD, (obsessive compulsive disorder) and when I say suffer, I mean suffer.  He is riddled with anxiety about whether the doors are locked and has to check and recheck.  He is troubled by this.  He loses sleep.  It keeps him from enjoying activities.  It hurts him.  I know someone else with the same disorder.  His compulsion manifests in the way he eats.  He must have his own silverware with him when he eats out, his food must not touch, and he must eat his food in a certain order.  He is content with this and it does not trouble him in the slightest.  It’s not hard to see that only one of these guys needs a diagnosis.  Only one needs treatment. 
We did seek out a diagnosis for our son, but only when his “differences” seemed to start troubling him.  When he was little, and literally crawling up the walls, we would ask his pediatrician if he needed to be tested for anything.  She would always say, “I’m sure that we would end up with a diagnosis but I see no reason to worry about it.  He is a homeschooled kid who doesn’t have to be one way to fit into a classroom.  Just let him be.”  Her wisdom stood for a long time, but as my son approached his teen years, some of his behaviors, or quirks began to intensify.  He began to seem more “different” than his peers and I could see it start to bug him.  This was the point that we began to think a diagnosis might be to our advantage. 
I remember talking to him about going to the doctor, telling him over and over again I didn’t think there was anything WRONG with him.  My goal in getting a diagnosis was not to change him, but make him more comfortable with himself.  And it worked.  We got a diagnosis and a treatment plan that included the Wilbarger Brushing Protocol that was nothing less than a miracle for him. 
I also remember the doctor telling me that he would need a therapist as he became an older teen, because “these kids” tend to get angry and depressed and need someone to talk to that isn’t Mom or Dad.  I politely told her I would keep that in my mind, but in my mind, I was pretty sure that would never happen.   And I was right.  He went through those formative teen years with no issues at all. 
Yet, I hear all the time about kids who didn’t have that same experience.  My son seems to be the exception where the rule seems to be angry, sad kids.  And I’m wondering if maybe the problem is the school system where differences are discouraged rather than celebrated.  Different equals Defective.  How can any child go through 12 years of being reminded he is different, of being set apart for his differences, and continually being sent the message he must be fixed?  It probably wouldn’t take long for that child to accept that he is broken.  And that could easily result in an angry, sad child.
But it’s not just our school system.  We as parents have a huge responsibility to take care of our kids and we don’t want to ever leave any stone unturned.  Maybe another doctor, maybe another treatment…  And all the while, the message is being sent…  “there is something wrong with you that must be fixed.”
Maybe all that needs to be fixed is our perspective.
Step back.  Take a good look at your child.  Think of all the ways he is different.  Now think of all the ways those differences make him a better person.   Run with that.  Now picture many years from now, when he meets a new friend and begins to tell of his life.  Picture him bragging on his Mom who always encouraged him and told him he could do anything.
If only my new friends’ mom had known this.  If only she had realized that there were lots of things her son could do or be.  She was only wanting “normal” but she never knew that there are far, far, better things to be than normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment